Melissa Kaylene: Why Field Trips Are Important
Image Map

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Why Field Trips Are Important


After Noah’s field trip to the pumpkin patch yesterday I rushed back to the school to help organize papers and count money for the grade school’s annual Read-A-Thon; the P.T.S.O.’s first big fundraiser of the year.

After a couple of bumpy roads with my time with our school’s Parent Teacher Student Organization, this year I’m finally beginning to feel a little more confident in it, and have a handful of other parents who are just as supportive as I. But that doesn’t mean it’s easy.



We spend countless hours of volunteering, creating documents, planning meeting, balancing accounts, counting money...it is a lot of work and sometimes overwhelming and sometimes I ask myself what I’ve gotten myself into.


But then I see all of the kids learning about how plants grow, riding tractors and having fun making memories with their classmates - and I know why I volunteer:

To enrich these children’s life’s.

Whether it be taking them to Portland to experience a play, riding a public transit for the first time, or bringing musicians from Ghana in to share their culture; these are the moments kids will remember.


There’s a quote from Cesare Pavese that states:


So if your kids come home trying to get pledges, sell cookies, collect soda cans, or some other fundraising effort - support them to the best of your abilities. Not only are they learning good traits like responsibility and work ethics, but they are helping create their school experience.


This is just a couple of reasons why field trips are important.



~Melissa

2 comments:

  1. I love this....so many parent's in our area complain every time a fundraiser goes home. It's like they expect the kids to have great experiences yet they don't want to work to help foot the bill. I for one think trips and fun learning is the best kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved field trips when I was in Elementary School! I love that slide in those pictures! Thank you for linking up with us at the Tips and Tricks Link Party! I hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete