Melissa Kaylene: My Dreams are Becoming a Reality
Image Map

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

My Dreams are Becoming a Reality

This is my official entry for a contest held by #CollectiveBias to win an all expense paid trip to their #SoFabCon conference held May 8th-10th. For more information visit their website: SoFabCon.com
I've always had a dream.

Ever since I was little I dreamed of working for myself, having a schedule of my own - being able to express my own creativity and live comfortably doing so. I just wasn't sure how or what that would be.

I began a career in health care when I was young to help others, and pay my bills. Even while in nursing school I knew that I wanted to keep that career as a backup plan to ensure I could always provide for my family if need be.

It was one of the smartest decisions I have ever made.

In the meantime I have always explored other options for earning a living - I've sold products and held in home parties, but nothing seemed to click. It wasn't my passion.

Then in April 2012 I began this blog. I had realized that a few of the websites I stalked on a regular basis were actually created by people like me - and some of them made a living by doing so.

To make a long story short I've been working on this blog consistently for 20 months and am continuously learning so many things along the way. It truly has been like going back to school and starting a new career from scratch.
#luvsofab14 #collectivebias
It will always be a work in progress.

For over a year I had the idea for using my writing as a tool to make money from - so I could create the lifestyle I had always dreamed of for my family.

I realized that blogging was my passion.
#luvsofab14 #collectivebias
In October of last year I had finally learned enough to jump in and slowly began making money from my blog. One of the ways I did this was through sponsored campaigns, also known as "Shopportunities" through Collective Bias. I've gotten to share recipes, crafts, tips, and ideas with you in posts that surround a certain product, and I actually get paid to be creative! I've been blessed to have worked on 11 campaigns through Collective Bias since I joined 14 weeks ago.

I'm pinching myself every day.

Collective Bias is holding a contest for members to win an all-expense paid trip to their annual #SoFabCon conference for bloggers and brands, and they are asking the question, 'Why do you want to win?' 

Let me tell you one thing I've learned from blogging - a picture really is worth 1,000 words, and here's a few reasons why I need to go:
#luvsofab14 #collectivebias
#luvsofab14 #collectivebias
I would love to attend my first blog conference so I can continue to grow and learn, and so I can create the life for my family that up until a year ago I only imagined of.

When this contest was announced I sat down and talked with my kids about my "at-home job", and really wanted their opinions of what I've been doing. Even though this is my blog, my family is a huge part of it. It's not just about me, it's about us. I asked my kids to help me out by each drawing a picture for me of one of their favorite things they like about my new job and they all came up with great things.

Anika started thinking of all the wonderful places and events we've gotten to attend - all thanks to this blog. She drew a picture of our trip to see the Zoo Lights.

Emma told me that she likes my job because she likes it when I get to stay home with them and be together as a family.

Noah- well, he said he loved everything. He is the happiest boy I've ever met.

#luvsofab14 #collectivebias
I then asked, 'what are some of the things you would like to be able to do as a family someday?' I want them to have an understanding on working hard and having dreams.

Well let me tell ya,
They have big dreams too.

I must be doing something right.

If I win this trip I will utilize everything I learn and continue to grow this blog and my career.

I'll never stop dreaming, and thanks to companies like Collective Bias, my dreams are becoming a reality!

~Melissa

1 comment:

  1. good luck with reaching your blogging goals, fingers crossed for you in the lovesofab14 contest!

    Emmett - Hippie Lace

    ReplyDelete